Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 26: IV Meropenem (Merrem) and Levaquin

This was my first experience with Meropenem (Merrem). Laboratory tests have shown Meropenem behaves similarly to Ceftriaxone on Borrelia (Lyme bacteria). I think Ceftriaxone is toxic and overused. Lyme sufferers have enough misery, and shouldn't have to deal with gallbladder removal, as a result of prolonged (daily) exposure to Ceftriaxone. There is also likely to be less drug resistance with Meropenem.

Meropenem caused many of my Lyme symptoms to emerge. I developed pain in my knees,wrists, shoulder, and fingers. I also had a LOT of fatigue. Initially I slept soundly for 12 to 14 hours and took naps in the afternoon. However, as Levaquin hyperactivity took over, my fatigue was replaced with hyperactivity. At times it was uncomfortable as I felt tired, but restless at the same time and napping became impossible. As the week wore on, I began to have some OCD, with a touch of mania. I spoke quickly, thought quickly, and cleaned most things within immediate view.


Levaquin also caused reflux, nausea, and belching. The belching was strange and unlike a burp, or anything I had ever experienced. Dr J explained that the crico-thyroid muscles can contract leading to this odd symptom. Levaquin also causes constipation- so if you use it take a lot of ground flax seed, and magnesium citrate if you have this problem.

On Sunday, last day of infusions, I developed more hyperactivity, noise intolerance, agitation/ shaking limbs/ muscle spasm/ skin hypersensitivity and worsened insomnia. I had mild phobias and was easily tearful.

I looked forward to a drug holiday and cannot imagine how people take antibiotics daily, months in and out, (as I once had).

No comments:

Post a Comment