Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weeks 20-23 Protocol: IV Tygecycline and Oral Mycobutin

Okay I had to repeat Tigecycline (Tygacil). Unfortunately because I planned to travel for family vacation my plan changed and instead of 2 weeks between cycles I was to have only 1 week to recover from the very intense IV Tigecycline and Mycobutin (Rifabutin, orally).

I did my usual approach to Tigecycline: take it late, say 7 pm, and medicate myself so I sleep through the nausea (using Zofran, Compazine and Phenergan). Well it worked, in that I slept through the nausea, but the drugs to prevent nausea snowed me under so much that I turned into a bumbling nonfunctional Zombie. I had trouble focusing or doing anything for the next 2 days. I was nonfunctional and "spent." I felt toxic and discouraged. I was done with drugs. I could not look at the IV bottles or swallow another pill.

This is the lesson learned. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. If you are on a treatment plan and feeling toxic you may need to take a break or change course or up your detox. The trick is figuring out when you are toxic/nonfunctional from herxing and when it is drug related. From what I've learned, taking breaks during treatments gives you a chance to recover and gives your body a tune-up. I did IV vitamins (Meyer's cocktails), and IV Glutathione "pushes," (and yes you can do these with or without a PICC line).

After a week of recuperation and being off of all drugs, I had fun! I did Disney and Sea World with an 11 year old! We roller-bladed on Venice beach, and visited the stars at Madame Toussaud's. We had a great time and it was thrilling to enjoy life and a vacation, after nearly 2 years in bed. So, the Tigecycline, as horrible as it was, worked some magic.

After the excitement I caught a cold on the plan ride back home. My first cold in 2 years. It is said that Lyme patients never get colds, and if you get a cold it is a sign that the immune system is improving, and able to mount a response to a virus. Thrilling thought, but not so fun.

I have one more cycle of "Tiga" cycle to endure.....then almost time for my PICC line to come out. These treatments are tough, but for me have been the most effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment